Sunday, January 16, 2011

Identifying as an Ex-Mormon

Leaving the religion which has been the foundation of my family's heritage for many generations was a process that affected me to my core. For years I identified primarily as a mother and an ex-Mormon. I still loved and respected my Mormon family, and didn't raise religious issues in their presence, but, for a time, being a former Mormon was as much a part of my identity as being a Mormon had been. I cannot explain why; it just was. But I don't think it is anymore.

To everything there is a season, and my season of active ex-Mormonism seems to have passed. I'm still interested in Mormon history and will, of course, try to be a help to anyone who has questions, and the love and affection for the many friends I've met on various discussion boards and at ex-Mormon conferences remains, but I can sense my interest in most things Mormon waning. Perhaps that will change in the future, but for now, I welcome the apathy.

I've decided to transfer more of my energy to the pursuit of shoes. I'm thinking of documenting every pair I own, which will take a good chunk of time, especially considering my rate of shoe accrual. I'll let the Mormons in the family deal with Family History. Footwear History is where it's at for me. I wish I had a picture of my first pair. I'd start a Footwear Tree with those little high-topped white baby shoes perched atop the family line.

KA

2 comments:

  1. I just came across your blog, and am so relieved to find someone else who's like me out here. I, too, am trying desperately to leave the Mormon faith (and all that that means) - and am struggling because I'm so terrified of what I don't know that exists out here - yet I feel free for the first time in my life in many ways. I've been trying to find someone (anyone) else who might feel like I do, who might have advice for me, or a community of support - whatever, and all I can find is ANGRY people. I'm not necessarily looking for revenge - I just want some support through all these questions I have. I can see that, from the sounds of this post, you're ready to move on and not revisit all of it, but I'm hoping you might know of someone - or somewhere I can turn. I'd appreciate any help. My email is ticklesivories@yahoo.com

    Thanks - and congrats on your graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Pianochick!

    I sent an email, and hopefully you've gotten it. If not, you can let me know here and I'll try again, or you can find me at 4girlsmom@cox.net.

    I understand exactly how you feel.

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete