Saturday, March 7, 2009

A Fetus Of Uncertain Race

I took Courtney along when I had an ultrasound for my third pregnancy. She was very excited to find out that she was going to have another little sister.

A few days later, I got a phone call from Courtney's first grade teacher. She wanted to tell me what Courtney had told the class about her soon-to-be-born sibling:

"My mom is having a baby girl and we're going to name her Chloe! The only thing we don't know is what color she'll be."

I got a kick out of it, but wondered why on earth Courtney would say such a thing. The next week at church, I figured it out. We have friends, a white couple with children of their own, who adopted a black child. Courtney didn't understand that their darker-skinned child was adopted. She assumed babies popped out of their mommies just any old color. I explained to Courtney otherwise, but couldn't help thinking that it would be kinda nice if skin color were always a surprise. Would there still be racism if white couples bore black children and vice-versa? I don't think so. I think that might be wonderful.

KA

2 comments:

  1. How adorable! It sounds like something my little sister would say.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One can only imagine your reputation around town after a comment like that got out. Sexi-mexi indeed.

    The current system where white parent have white kids who then spend their lives buying lotions, creams and tanning salon memberships trying to get brown or black is very poetic, I've always thought.

    ReplyDelete